We Offer the Following Services to Individuals:

  • Federal and Multi-State Income Tax Return Preparation
  • Comprehensive Tax Planning
  • Gift Tax Preparation and Planning

What Kind of Tax Preparer Do I Need?

Any person or company that has an IRS Preparer Tax Identification (PTIN) can be paid to prepare your individual tax return. But it’s important to understand the difference between the types of credentials and what they are allowed to do.

CPAs, Attorneys, and Enrolled Agents are tax professionals who can represent people on any tax related matter including audits, payment and collection issues, and appeals.

People who are not CPAs, attorneys, or enrolled agents – such as the part time help employed during tax season by a lot of franchise tax businesses – are more limited in how they can represent the client to the IRS. These people cannot represent a person if they did not personally prepare their return, and also cannot represent clients regarding appeals or collections issues regardless if they prepared their return.

Complex Tax Returns

Here at Steward Ingram & Cooper PLLC, we specialize in complex tax returns for taxpayers in Raleigh.

Our primary focus is on taxpayers with more complex tax issues. These may include multi-state returns, foreign taxes, timing and tax consequences of company stock options or tax-deferred exchanges. We assist individuals in Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Apex, Wake Forest, Wilson, and all surrounding areas.

Important Due Dates for Individuals

  • April 15 – Individual tax return (form 1040)
  • April 15 – 1st quarter estimated taxes
  • April 15 – Last day to make HSA and IRA contributions for 2020
  • June 15 – 2nd quarter estimated taxes
  • September 15 – 3rd quarter estimated taxes
  • October 15 – Final due date for extended returns
  • January 15, 2021 – 4th quarter estimated taxes